Yep. Something big happened in our world. DJ got his tubes in and adenoids removed. This poor child has not been able to hear much of anything for several months now. He has felt so bad for quite a long time!
I look calm, yes? Ha! I was feeling a bit nauseous and ready to pounce on anyone who caused any pain to my little guy.
Which is ridiculous. I've been here so many times with my mom, and the doctors and other staff in these parts of the hospitals are always so kind and caring. They know they are dealing with nervous, hurting people, and they are mindful of helping their patients with much tenderness and compassion. I was just really, really nervous about my 7-year-old having to leave my side and be put to sleep. Dad was a much, much better bedside companion! Which is apparent with the next picture: a quick gift from Dad. DJ drew a face on him and took him to surgery for comfort.
Post-op yuck. He was full of anesthesia and Demerol and was out of his head!
Funny thing about this picture. DJ rolled over at one point, with pitiful little tears streaming out of his big brown eyes, and asked Dad: "Daddy, I need to ask you for somethin' big, really, really big." Dad was ready to fly him to the moon. Anything is game when your little guy is laying on a hospital bed in pain. Especially with the tears falling.
"What is it, Buddy?"
With the greatest of emotion: "Would you please go home (sob) and get [his older two siblings] and Jake? I want them here!"
My heart was so sad for my sweet boy. He was wanting his sister and brothers there with him. I tried to comfort him: "Sweetie, you know we'll be out of here soon, very soon, and we'll go straight home and you can see them then!"
[Reality check here...] "But Mom! They won't get to see my tubes!"
Ah... So, we took a picture for the showing and telling for the siblings.
This was the point where we were about to get dressed and get out of there! Sweet, sweet nurse Christine was just wonderful!
And I must say, there is nothing more fun than watching a post-op 7-year-old under the influence of Demerol eating a grape popsicle, insisting that, NO THANK YOU! I can do this myself!!!
1 comment:
I'm so glad things went smoothly. Alyssa had to have tubes before she was a year old and I was a total basket case. Everything was fine, though, of course, and she was like a different kid after that. The tubes make such a BIG difference!
Post a Comment