Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Children of God

Okay, so I'm sensitive. Admitted. And about some things but not others.

For the past three years, I've grown increasingly sensitive about how Jake's adoption is spoken of. And that's a good thing, understandable.

Some of that is the fear of the unknown. I have no idea how Jake will process his whole life circumstances as he grows. I believe it will be a difficult process, I just don't know how he will uniquely handle the emotions and trials that will come.

So I spend quite a bit of effort ~ which is good and bad ~ trying to do damage control. Trying to ward off as much pain as possible. Trying to do it right, make the right decisions.

Which means I cringe when anybody talks about Jake being "adopted." The fact remains: he is adopted. There will never be any changing of that.

But I always talk about Jake "coming home" instead of being adopted. And I lectured one of my kids today on being careful to use that terminology, especially around Jake.

It's good and bad. I'm trying.

So, when I saw this video from one of my favorite bands (Third Day) singing one of my favorite songs, I cringed through the first two-thirds. Why make it so obvious that these kids were adopted? What was the point? How weird to keep pointin' out the difference in these kids' lives. ("Okay, so I'm sensitive.")

Then I cried through the last bit. As I was shown how quick I am to judge, how much I need to believe the best. As I was reminded of the sweet truth of who I am in Christ.

And as the Lord kindly showed me that I have more in common with my fourth baby than I ever knew.

Enjoy...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a beautiful video! Thanks for sharing! I was uncomfortable to see the kids in the shirts at first, but when everyone began to reveal their shirts...Wow!