Saturday, August 6, 2011

Random Ramblings...

It is hot... hotter than I ever remember it being (pretty sure we've brokin' records on multiple days).

And I'm confessing: I get the "Horrible Mom of the Summer" award because... my two little guys have done little else but watch TV, play on the computer, and play on XBox. For several weeks. Because it is HOT!!

When it's 100 degrees at 11:00 a.m., it is too hot to even go to the pool. I'm not pushing my guys outside to melt on the asphalt. And at this point, they are not the let's-read-a-book-by-ourselves-before-we-do-our-arts-and-crafts-project (!!!) kinda males.

So I've let them do what I said I never would: they've become the worst kind of mush-headed couch potatoes.

It's time to start school...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We had the fun of watching blue birds hatch this July. Unfortunately, we've witnessed several rounds of blue bird eggs and babies be destroyed by other birds; so we were thrilled that this group made it all the way out of the nest!

A cool extra: one of the birds was an albino! I thought it was the baby from another bird that had laid its egg in the same nest. When the birds were ready to fly, though, it was very obvious that the white bird looked exactly like its siblings, only all white! Really, really cool.

The birds have been out of the nest for almost three weeks. I'd assumed they'd all flown on off to start their own little lives. I was so surprised, however, to look out of a front window on our house this evening and see four of the blue bird siblings sitting in my front yard! Three were bathing in the bird bath while another hopped around on the grass attacking leaves.

(The albino was not to be seen. It's gotta be hard to hide when you're all white, and there's been a hawk doing a lot of screeching in our back yard lately...)

How sweet to see them all together, looking all teenager-ish. I guess they're hanging out together til they're big enough to go it alone.

The kids and I watched them for a while, thankful that we got to see them again, see that they're doing well.

God is, as always, kind...

No comments: