Saturday, December 26, 2009

Glimpses

Okay. This will be really long. Am posting some pictures to give a glimpse into our family life, but don't know how to make one of those very practical, very cute window-thingies where your pictures can be scrolled through, all in one window. I only know how to post them one-by-one.

There's several pictures because I'm starting with some September ones. I have to wait for someone else to get our pics off the camera and put them on our hard drive so I can upload them. Yes, I've asked for the tutorial. I've received the tutorial. But my brain is just full, and I can't remember how to get the pics off the camera. (But I CAN remember my husband's SSN and my library card number [FOURTEEN characters long, oh, yes it is!] and my best-friend-in-9th-grade's birthday and my high school locker combination [yes, that's weird, but it's because we use the same lock on a door on our house] and... digressing, digressing...)

ANYway, here's some shots. Hope you enjoy!


Here's what we like to do in the fall, on any-given cool weather evening. We love to do this in the early spring, as well. We live out in the country a bit, so we get a great view of tons of stars while we listen to crickets and frogs and owls.

Here's our 7-year-old with Dad, roasting either a hot dog or marshmallow. That's all we do at this point. Nothing fancy.

One of the highlights for Jake is getting to explore with the flashlight. He loves these things and keeps Energizer in business (batteries don't stand a chance against this boy).

Me? You think I'm gonna turn down S'mores?


Two best yard dogs. Ever. Old momma dog Meg is the chocolate Lab. She's 12, been with us since she was barely weaned. Hunted ducks all her life, best duck dog Dad ever knew. She's in relatively good health, except for a heart valve issue. Don't know how much longer she'll be here. We try not to think about it. And we never discuss it around our 7-year-old.

The black pup is Cole. I call him Coleslaw to tease Dad a bit (no self-respectin' duck dog would ever answer to "Coleslaw" -- but he'll answer to anything as long as you'll throw his rope toy!). He's just now a year old and will probably be an even better retriever than Meg. (We don't mention that around her.) I never wanted a male Lab. They tend to be a bit air-headed. Cole, however, has wrapped my heart around his big black paw. He has the softest ears and the biggest brown eyes. I don't care how silly or foggy he acts; he's a sweet baby!


We just celebrated 21 years of marriage! We had a great dinner in town, and my sweet husband gave me the best gift: a day off from work! I got to leave for town early that next morning, have lunch with my best friend, then coffee with her, had cash to go shopping, then a gift certificate to get a massage from another dear friend. THIS man certainly knows what energizes me! I am so thankful for him.


Thanksgiving at Mamaw's! Every year, we switch off with where we celebrate Thanksgiving. This year, we visited at my mother-in-law's home. Here she's playing jacks with the youngest two.

Mamaw and our oldest discussing life while the potatoes get peeled.


This is me with my sister-in-law's-son's-daughter's FERRET!!! ohmyword... I was terrified of this rodent-creature the minute I saw it. I've heard about the viciousness of these things and wanted no part of it. But the kids were haulin' it around like a baby and it just laid there. So I MADE MYSELF PICK IT UP AND HOLD IT. For at least 6 minutes. And then we took a picture to document THAT I PICKED IT UP AND HELD IT. Close to my face. For about 6 minutes. Then I put it down. I was through. (And until I can figure out how to rotate this picture, you'll have to lay on your side to see this. But this was unbelievable, so I had to post this pic!!)


A little checker-playin' going on. And I pinkie-swear that I didn't set this picture up! They actually chose to do this. Together. And played several rounds. Wow...


Time to start decorating the tree! We love doing this as a family. This is the first night we drink egg nog (it is taboo for even a sip of nog to pass the lips until the tree is in the house!) while we listen to Johnny Mathis sing the old traditional carols. Weird? Yes, but these were my traditions while I grew up. I kept them going with my kids, and they insist that we do it the same way each year.

And don't ask why Jake is half-naked. Around here, clean underwear is all that counts. Well, that and brushed teeth and no blood.





Jake is singing with his choir at church for Christmas! He LOVES to sing! Poor kid can't carry a tune in a bucket right now to save his life, but I bet that changes! I know I couldn't sing on key if I was still trying to learn a second language, get through a grieving process, and focus on standing still while singing some song I didn't know!

Do you see him? He's the handsome little guy with the gorgeous head of jet-black hair, the boy with the big(gest) brown eyes (as though you could miss him).


Gingerbread houses? Yes, we did those this year (yea, Momma!! earned the gold star sticker!). This particular house was decorated by my daughter. She did an incredible job! And Christmas has come with many other traditions, as well. I'll probably post some Christmas pictures later. This has taken a while, and I bet you're completely done with these random shots of us.

I hope your Christmas was good, full of peace and contentment and joy. And thankfulness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! You and the ferrett are making me giggle!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and 21 years! Congratulations and happy anniversary!!