Thursday, December 10, 2009

Scattering Some Darkness

Sometimes I find myself in very dark places. Embarrassingly dark. Terrifyingly black. Bewildered, wondering which path brought me down to that level.

I have friends who encounter the dark, as well. And we talk in hushed tones, reaching out to comfort and guide, survivors with maps that point to the Light. Voices are muted, though, because the ones who overhear probably won't understand. Or will be quick to label our dark as "sin," which isn't very helpful because we're already repenting for everything that comes to mind and yet the darkness still won't budge. Which causes so much fear because we can't quite seem to move beyond it. And we won't be able to until He's ready to move us on, equipped with stronger faith and more knowledge of the great Healer.

That's one of the reasons I love Charles Spurgeon so much. He was so transparent about the dark times he walked through. And his God-given wisdom that rings through the halls of time continues to bolster my flagging faith and encourage me to hang on, that I'm not losing my mind, that I'm just one who has to get in the dark so that my weak eyes can see more of the Light.

Here's a great post from one of my favorite blogs about what Spurgeon said. Wanted to share, in case anybody happens across this post and is struggling. Hoping to pass on the comfort that I've been given by the Comforter.

No comments: