Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Go Army

They were up, out of bed early, dressed in their version of a Green Beret... They wanted to be up & out, engaged in battle, even before breakfast. It was that important.

This one?



My heart sinks at times.

This guy asked for that Army equipment two Christmases ago. On his head is an actual WWII helmet (it is so heavy!).

He got his gear on for the picture and then kept it on for a long time that morning. Finally came up to Dad and me: "Mom, I know this might make you cry, but I need you to know that... someday... someday I'm gonna go and fight. For real. And you're gonna have to let me go."

This guy found out that the armed forces no longer use bazookas; the rest of the day was spent talking of little else because he was so frustrated with that.

When Osama bin Laden finally went down? This guy was very upset. He wanted to be the one to take him down. He'd lost his chance.

We have several families in our church who are in the Guard or other armed services. One family in particular has a special spot in Joe-Joe's heart. The dad, eldest son, and two grown daughters all serve. The eldest son, Blake (who is about 19 years old), loves Joe-Joe and pays him special attention when he's around. Joe-Joe hangs on every breath Blake takes, begging for information and stories.

Joe-Joe lives and breathes Army.

I am convincing myself that this is a phase, that it's because he's 9 and impressionable and still imagination-driven. That he is fearless in the way 9-year-old boys ought to be, and that he longs for the greatest of adventures.

Because I don't want my baby fighting in a war.

And that is stupid. And selfish. Wrong on several levels.

I have no idea what God will do with Joe-Joe. But I know this: He has made him brave (too brave for me). He has made him tough. And He has made him long for something that is noble and good.

And Joe is His to do with as He pleases. And if that means that ~ in this crazy, sinful, chaotic, churning spot on the timeline of the earth, where war is everywhere and always, and real men are needed who can fight with bravery and self-lessness ~ if it means that God is calling Joe to be ready to go, I need to send him off to do what he's been born to do, with my blessing and my thankfulness and with my courage.

Honestly? What better thing could my son be called to do?

In the meantime, I help him find his helmet and boots. I set up the mess hall with breakfast when it's time. I ask him about the battle and lament with him over the lack of bazookas. And I marvel that I get to watch God's plan unfold with such a unique young boy.

And I sorta keep my fingers crossed that he'll go into dentistry...

No comments: