I'm not exactly sure when this became clear to me. Recently...
I'd clicked on yet another blog I frequent and began to read the truest, sincerest, deepest thoughts of the Mom~Author.
She told (again) of how her day had gone with her kids. How they'd spent the day traversing the forest of aspens and maples, stopping frequently to gather Nature's surprises for their nature table back home (a lovely antique oak (Grandma's!) that fits perfectly in their ample foyer). The kids all held hands as they talked about Jesus and sang the songs from Sunday's service.
Okay, I made a lot of that up. I'm trying to make a point.
Somehow, honestly, I've been drawn to these blogs where people's lives just go perfectly. Or at least seem to.
The Mom~Authors have found time to contemplate how to motivate their kids to pray, how to keep freshly-baked bread around, how to teach 9 kids at once, how to keep their school rooms organized, how to decorate their homes in the latest trends, how to effectively worship Christ at all hours and at any given hour of the day, how to journal every important event that occurs in each child's life, how to...
Well, the list seems eternal. And the pictures! The kids in the pictures are playing chess, reading Lamplighter books, or helping Mom (cheerfully!) make pie crust for the rhubarb they just got out of their garden. There's a map of the world pinned on their dining room wall, with Post-it flags pointing to each place where missionaries live, and this family faithfully prays organized, effective, consistent prayers for them. The four-year-old knows how to iron, and the sons spend lots of quality time with Dad either fishing or working together to create beautiful landscaping. The Mom~Author has only wise words for her family, which she has beautifully cross-stitched to hang around the house, and she is always kind and helpful to her husband. Always.
And I realized that I click off these blogs in a state of mental and spiritual exhaustion!
I mean, I'm exhausted anyway. I'm 47, I have three kids I'm trying to homeschool, one kid enrolled in school outside of home, a mom in poor health with fairly significant needs, and husband with a very demanding job, and... I'm 47. Wait, already said that.
But then I find myself reading these blogs and feeling... just whooped. Useless. Losing the battle I haven't even begun. These women have the smoothest lives as they go about loving their husbands well, honoring their parents, teaching their kids, canning their vegetables, making their quilts, and journaling their incredibly deep, God-honoring thoughts.
Gack! Are you connecting with me here?
If so, then this post is for you. Sit back with your lukewarm cup of coffee (because in real life, that's just how it is) and scroll through what ought to help you feel pretty dog-gone good about your life!
Welcome to the Real World:
I'd clicked on yet another blog I frequent and began to read the truest, sincerest, deepest thoughts of the Mom~Author.
She told (again) of how her day had gone with her kids. How they'd spent the day traversing the forest of aspens and maples, stopping frequently to gather Nature's surprises for their nature table back home (a lovely antique oak (Grandma's!) that fits perfectly in their ample foyer). The kids all held hands as they talked about Jesus and sang the songs from Sunday's service.
Okay, I made a lot of that up. I'm trying to make a point.
Somehow, honestly, I've been drawn to these blogs where people's lives just go perfectly. Or at least seem to.
The Mom~Authors have found time to contemplate how to motivate their kids to pray, how to keep freshly-baked bread around, how to teach 9 kids at once, how to keep their school rooms organized, how to decorate their homes in the latest trends, how to effectively worship Christ at all hours and at any given hour of the day, how to journal every important event that occurs in each child's life, how to...
Well, the list seems eternal. And the pictures! The kids in the pictures are playing chess, reading Lamplighter books, or helping Mom (cheerfully!) make pie crust for the rhubarb they just got out of their garden. There's a map of the world pinned on their dining room wall, with Post-it flags pointing to each place where missionaries live, and this family faithfully prays organized, effective, consistent prayers for them. The four-year-old knows how to iron, and the sons spend lots of quality time with Dad either fishing or working together to create beautiful landscaping. The Mom~Author has only wise words for her family, which she has beautifully cross-stitched to hang around the house, and she is always kind and helpful to her husband. Always.
And I realized that I click off these blogs in a state of mental and spiritual exhaustion!
I mean, I'm exhausted anyway. I'm 47, I have three kids I'm trying to homeschool, one kid enrolled in school outside of home, a mom in poor health with fairly significant needs, and husband with a very demanding job, and... I'm 47. Wait, already said that.
But then I find myself reading these blogs and feeling... just whooped. Useless. Losing the battle I haven't even begun. These women have the smoothest lives as they go about loving their husbands well, honoring their parents, teaching their kids, canning their vegetables, making their quilts, and journaling their incredibly deep, God-honoring thoughts.
Gack! Are you connecting with me here?
If so, then this post is for you. Sit back with your lukewarm cup of coffee (because in real life, that's just how it is) and scroll through what ought to help you feel pretty dog-gone good about your life!
Welcome to the Real World:




Obviously these people/places aren't me or mine, but they are fairly accurate representations of my life. Are you feeling better, though?I type this on my bed, surrounded by piles of clean laundry that might or might not get put away by Thursday. I'm pretty sure I'll be up several times tonight doling out Tylenol or Advil to a sick little guy whose fever refuses to stay below 101. I've got ungraded papers on my desk in the school room, Lego and Bionicle pieces all over and in my couch, and rings in all three toilets. My van has dirty Kleenexes and napkins in the floor along with Sonic trash from a few days back. I'm thinking on how to creatively incorporate mac & cheese into tomorrow's dinner, trying to remember the last time I dusted, mopped or vacuumed.
And that's just the stuff I'm not embarrassed to post.
So I wanted to raise my hand ~ in this world of so many bloggers with beautiful, intimidating lives ~ and say this: "I have no earthly idea how to do this well. I don't know how to consistently get enough sleep. I constantly fight to stay awake while I read God's Word, to answer my husband with the respect he deserves, to not yell at my children, and to love my neighbors as I should. I worry about the future and lament over the past. I love my sin too much and my Savior too little. I give up too easily and push too hard for what doesn't matter. I'd rather drink Diet Coke than water, and I reach for the oatmeal cream pie without ever considering the humus." [No, I don't choose the DCoke or oatmeal pie, I just want it!]
In other words, I'm a bit of a mess.
But this I know:
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6
"Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. James 1:5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6
And so in this I rest, and trust, and hope for.
2 comments:
I just want to know where you got those pictures of my house... ;)
Jennifer thinks you've been taking pictures of her house...I'm pretty sure they're of mine. I love it when a blogger is "real" - and doesn't share *just* the good part of life. I'm not sure all those who blog about the perfect homeschool/quiet time/life are doing *any* of us favors. Yes, it is good to see it going well and how they do it. But, occasionally let me know "here's where I struggle" -- let me see them be human and recover from it (and by that, I don't mean "air the family's dirty laundry"). THAT is encouraging to me. Otherwise, I'm prone to envy and despondency...which is my own sin problem, I know.
Post a Comment