Monday, January 23, 2012

Joyful Things

10 things that have brought me joy today:

(1) Listening to Mem play through her songs for her upcoming senior recital. Often, listening reduces me to tears as I imagine what it will be like to hear silent piano keys (deafening at times, I'm sure). These songs have been played over and over in these walls, and they are weighty with memories. But today, the Spirit overruled me and filled me with the emotion I keep reaching for: joy that I've been able to listen for 10 years, the build-up that has culminated in some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard!

(2) Baking sourdough bread from scratch. The starter began 2 weeks ago, and today is the first chance I've had to pull it out and make the necessary investment of hours to gain the loaves. The smell alone... heaven.

(3) Walking with my two youngest and Maci for 45 minutes. I had hoped to set out alone, craving time to think & be quiet (no mention, please, of the post on quietness!! How quickly we forget...). But the two guys begged to go, and I reluctantly agreed that they could. How I needed the opportunity to die to myself! I am so selfish! The gain? Skipping along at one point while singing "We're Off to See the Wizard"; a second arm to take the leash of a very active, hard-pulling canine; a detailed description of a rotting possum corpse (joy? well, at least I feel like I provided them with an opportunity to learn something science-like today; there's joy in there somewhere!); and moments to observe how tall and strong these guys have gotten. When did that happen? No longer little boys? Can Joe truly be nearing my nose already?

(4) Getting a full day of school in with both boys.

(5) Nippy weather, blue skies, sunshine.

(6) Getting extended time to talk with Dad.

(7) Big-E coming home soon.

(8) Goldfinches and cardinals all over my feeders.

(9) Enough leftovers from yesterday's lunch for supper tonight!! No cooking for me!

(10) The blessing of dinner all together as a family, with no one needing to go anywhere. That is a typical night for us, but I need to remind myself often of what a blessing it is. It's a busy, chaotic life, and I need to intentionally savor our times around the table together.

Jake has just climbed into my lap, which is joyful thing #11, so I will stop typing here and enjoy this moment before he's too cool to ask anymore...

Every good gift and every perfect gift

is from above, coming down from

the Father of lights... James 1:17

No comments: