Some of those dark, rainy winter afternoons just beg for jelly makin'. Especially when I'm looking for ways to bring my stress level down. I love doing this.
You get your ducks in a row, first...
which of course includes choosing the perfect background noise...
I always clip my SureJell instructions here...
secured to my grandad's water ladle. As a young boy on his family's farm in Hope, he used this often and spoke fondly of drinking some of the freshest,
coolest well water around.
I keep it hanging at the back of my stove top.
I always smile when my eyes find it.
HOW I miss my Grandpa...
Counting the sugar using my grandmother's yellow bowl. This grandmother was married to the water-ladle grandfather. They were the BEST grandparents. I love using my grandmother's things. The toothpicks help my middle-aged brain keep
up with how much sugar I've scooped. The toothpick holder? It sat on my
family's table from the time I was 7 or 8 years old. I think I have
way-over-the-top sentimentality issues, yes?
You ever picked blackberries? Then you KNOW how much work went into this bag! 5 cups of blackberries that have been half-ruined by an Arkansas drought meant somebody (whose initial are K.E.I.T.H) stood far too long in the hot daylight.
Now we're cooking!
Always the messy part. I still can't do this very well.
And they will stand on their heads until they cool.
Hot water baths are just way too much extra work, in my opinion!
What? It's never too early to sample! It's good when it's warm and runny!
Might as well do a batch of peach while we're at it...
No store-brand ever compares to homemade!
2 comments:
Have i told you HOW much I love you!!!! I do and I am so thankful that you are blogging some! Hope to catch up in person soon!!!!
Love this post! And blackberry is my favorite! Looks like fun -- productive fun. Love you!
Post a Comment