Monday, December 30, 2013

Prayer for the Coming Year

As this year draws to a close and I reflect on the one that will soon open, with all of its seemingly insurmountable obstacles and questions that weigh heavy and answers
that haven't yet come, I am taught, as I read from my dear brother Spurgeon, what
my thoughts need to be.  And my heart amens with swift and sure assent because
of the grace work of the Holy Spirit, my Helper and Counselor, as He
continues to sanctify my soul.
 
No matter what this new year brings, no matter how many questions remain or how many broken prayers require more attention and work from me...  no matter
how many tears or anxious thoughts...  no matter how sure it seems
that the earth will give way and the mountains will indeed be moved
into the heart of the sea...
 
God is always, unceasingly good.
 
He is ONLY good, as He cannot act unjustly or unkindly at any point.
There is no disputing this.  And so I pray, with Spurgeon:
 
"O my God, however perplexed I may be, let me never think ill of Thee.  If I cannot understand Thee, let me never cease to believe in Thee.  It must be so,
it cannot be otherwise, Thou art good to those whom Thou has
made good; and where Thou hast renewed the heart
Thou wilt not leave it to its enemies."

No comments: