Wednesday, October 6, 2010

No Small Thing

"I count it a real honor that God entrusted Isaiah to our care."

So said an adoptive dad on a video I watched earlier today. And I replayed those 8 seconds of taped truth over again. Hit low in the gut, trying to catch breath, remembering what I've forgotten.

Isaiah's story is incredible. His new parents love him much and thoughtfully, carefully honor God in their telling. All of them realize the blessing that came with the transition.

But this: "it is an honor to have been entrusted..."

why do i forget?

If you know us, know our family, know me... then you know that our transition as a family has been rough. It hasn't been one person's fault, it's been the kept-well-hidden sin issues in all of us that have foamed to the top as we've all been called to die to self. We're a family of self-pleasers. We claw & fight to have our own way, and to have it easy and comfortable. And I'm the absolute worst of the whole of us.

And so I lose sight of the big picture so easily as I only focus in on the uncomfortable-ness of today, of the small Immediate Moment.

How I need to dwell here:

God's plan for Bao Hoai Dang, all along, was to grow up in the USA; to have an opportunity to get a good education; to be surrounded by siblings & parents; but BIGGEST OF ALL, to hear this:

"But the LORD is the true God; He is the living God and the everlasting King."
Jeremiah 10:10

I know so little, but I do know what I have seen with my eyes: the LORD has done mighty things to change Jake's life. I don't know the half of it, I'm sure, but what I've had revealed to me takes my breath away when I stop long enough to ponder it.

But I get so worn down by the day-in and day-out of homeschooling and health issues and parenting and serving and everything else, choosing to focus in on the difficulty of it all, and the effort it takes to beat down those sin issues, and then the results of not dealing with the old nature... and I forget.

I forget the mind-blowing fact that I am one of the parents who've been entrusted with the care of Jake, this child whom God has chosen to move mountains for. I'm one that's been chosen to teach him and nurture him, to train him and comfort him.

I've been called to teach this little guy about his Creator. And all that the one true God has done for him.

I've been granted permission to walk on this path that God has carved out for Jake, to watch the rest of the story unfold. To be used...

I'm sure it grieves God when I complain. It's a sin, for sure, but it is such a peevish type of thing. The rebellion of a small-minded, short-sighted creature.

I want to keep reading this post & be challenged, over and over, to think up there, with God, about the big picture. About the important things. About eternity.

No comments: