Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Quick, Inexpensive Dinner

A friend is gathering inexpensive (less than $20!) recipe ideas. I love it! Here's my contribution.

Every single one of us enjoys it. I've always got the ingredients on hand. It comes together quick. It costs little. Who could ask for anything more?

Pineapple Chicken on Rice
(Feeds our family of 6 for one meal)

4 (or more) chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks (I usually use 4)
Butter or margarine
Garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar (basically, to taste)
One of those bigger cans of pineapple chunks (20 oz?), drained (reserve the juice) [I also cut the chunks into halves to spread the good stuff around more]
Hot rice

Brown the chicken in the butter. I've found that cooking it on medium-high helps those little chunks not dry out so badly. Once they go from pink to white, sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on them (not a lot, you want it to be subtle).

When the chicken starts to brown a bit, sprinkle your brown sugar on (eyeball it). Let it melt, then put your pineapple in. Once the pineapple is hot, it's ready. You can pour on some reserved juice toward the end, as well, if you'd like something a bit juicier for your rice.

We eat this on rice, with green peas and bread. All of that should be less than $20.00.

This hits our recipe rotation almost once a week because it's just too easy!

No comments: