Friday, October 28, 2011

The Mercies of God

Looked at Tim Challies' blog today, was caught off-guard by a quote from William Secker, a 17-century English pastor:

A drop of praise is an unsuitable acknowledgment
for an ocean of mercy.

I can't quite think beyond that, other than to confess and confess and ask for a heart and mouth that pour forth rivers of praise and worship to the One who deserves all glory, the One who hourly has reason to extend new mercies to me. My sin is deeper than any person's I know, of those who belong to the Lord, and I am guilty of many occasions of "drops" and few outpourings of gratitude.

God, have mercy...

Secker also said:

Though Christians be not kept altogether from falling, yet they are kept from falling altogether.

This reminder brings much-needed comfort, as one of my particular struggles is in being often weighed down by the sin I'm allowed to see in my heart. I look at my life and wonder, daily, how someone in my state can belong to God. I have come to the place, very many times, of being undone by the sin I see myself clinging to. I've feared that God has, at last, cast me off.

But God, in His kindness, always at the perfect time settles me again; brings me peace and understanding; assures me that I am, indeed, His.

That I will fall, always come up short, as I make my way Home. But He is the One upholding me, keeping safe my reward & salvation.

That He is keeping me "from falling altogether."

No comments: