"And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?
'My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by Him. For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and chastises every son whom He receives.'
...He disciplines us for our good, that we may share His holiness."
Hebrews 12: 5-6, 10b
Part of the passage we were taught from yesterday in our first hour of church, brought through the pastor who is consistently used to rip my heart to shreds. Darkest sin has the deepest roots & needs much shredding of the rock ground to be penetrated by the light.
I hate it that I need so much ripping, but thankful that a patient God placed me where I could have the callouses torn away, especially as they grow back so quickly.
We were asked, at the beginning of the hour, to write down three areas or situations in our lives that we would change if we could. Things that might be especially grievous to us, things that caused us fear or worry.
Then we were reminded that God disciplines us as sons, as His children. The trials, the things that make us afraid, the things that cause us sorrow? Those are His disciplining tools, as "discipline" means not just punishment/consequences, but also training and instruction, coaching and teaching. And the hard things are what are necessary.
I was reminded (always necessary, as I forget so much) that to be disciplined for my good does not mean that I will have comfort and ease. (Why do I keep reaching for that Christian Hallmark picture?)
God says, instead, that my good means that I will share in His holiness.
As I remain on this earth, God will be at work to make me as much like Jesus as possible on this side of glory.
Which means that I will learn to die to myself and
have a grace-filled, forgiving love for that child
who is consistently disrespectful.
have a grace-filled, forgiving love for that child
who is consistently disrespectful.
It means that I will love my husband
fully, whole-heartedly, and courageously,
not expecting perfection between two fallen souls.
fully, whole-heartedly, and courageously,
not expecting perfection between two fallen souls.
It means that I will stop fearing
for the souls of my lost children, instead entrusting them
to the only source of their salvation.
for the souls of my lost children, instead entrusting them
to the only source of their salvation.
It means that I will live with peace and contentment in the
circumstances that God has chosen for me, knowing that He loves me
and knows perfectly what needs to happen to bring Himself glory
and bring me to a greater level of purity. I will not curse my family
with my fear and sadness.
circumstances that God has chosen for me, knowing that He loves me
and knows perfectly what needs to happen to bring Himself glory
and bring me to a greater level of purity. I will not curse my family
with my fear and sadness.
And so, I need to be patient and wait, responding rightly to God's will for me, knowing this:
"For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."
Hebrews 12:11
Hebrews 12:11
And oh! the conviction and encouragement and exhortation that follows!
"Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather healed."
Hebrews 12: 12-13
Hebrews 12: 12-13
Thank You, Holy Spirit, and help me to think long on these words and how they were broken apart for me yesterday. Help me to not lose the heart-tenderness that came again with hearing of Your love for me.
2 comments:
I could feel the tears stinging through much of that lesson. I need to download it so I could take notes - since I had a little one on my lap and couldn't while he was teaching. Instead, I lost it during worship singing..."On the mount of crucifixion
Fountains opened deep and wide
Though the floodgates of God's mercy
Flowed a vast and gracious tide
Grace and love like mighty rivers
Poured incessant from above
And Heaven's peace and perfect justice
Kissed a guilty world in love
Oh how marvelous, Oh how glorious is my Savior's love for me."
Right there with you, Sister ~ and I hate it when I cry in the choir.
For me, it was this:
"By faith this mountain shall be moved, and the power of the gospel shall prevail;
For we know in Christ all things are possible,
For all who call upon His name."
This verse brings my biggest "mountains" to mind, and the Spirit never fails to fill me with hope that He will most definitely move those things that I see as insurmountable: in His way, in His time, and for His glory. I just need to remember to walk by faith and not by the sight that tells me that all is lost.
Post a Comment