Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rash Words

No, I have no answer as to why I'm blogging so much these days. "Inconsistency" is my middle name. sometimes.

I just read a blog post, though, and I have to rant a bit.

I love this gal's blog. She is hys-TER-ically funny, and I always enjoy reading her.

Today was different, though, and her post today comes on the tail of a string of things I've been seeing a lot lately. For the umpteenth August.

Yet another mom singing the "Hallelujah" chorus because her kids have gone back to school.

Ick...

I walked past a mom in Kroger the other day who lamented long & loudly to a friend ~ IN FRONT OF HER THREE DAUGHTERS!!! ~ WHO WERE ALL UNDER THE AGE OF 12!! ~ that she couldn't WAIT for school to start back, that she was sick of kids being at home.

Double ick...

These poor kids!!!

Let me be the first to admit: there are days when only the hand of God holds me back from the "leavin' on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again..." sorta thing. (Actually, the hand of God keeps me from all evil. Just sayin'...)

But to post or wail out loud, for the eyes or ears of my kids, that I can't WAIT for them to be out of the house, that I'm tired of being "mom," to embarrass them in front of others or wound their sweet spirits...

Gack.

Parenting is hard, but it is a gift from God. And our time with our kids is short. And everytime I am ready for extended peace & quiet, God reminds me that my days with kids under the roof are so few, on the grand timeline of things. His reminders bring me to tears and stir my heart with deeper affections for my kids.

In fact, with Mem out of the house 3 days a week and Big Mac now in school, this house is waywayway too quiet, even with my two little tornadoes still here.

Moms, pray for patience & perseverance & love and compassion & strength when you're tired & overwhelmed and ready to throw in the towel. But let your kids hear and see that you love and treasure them. A wounded spirit heals very, very slowly (if at all!).

No comments: